Friday's Latest Theory
I struggle to understand the fashion industry. The strange and absurd are commonplace.
How often have you seen someone wearing something absolutely ridiculous? And you say to yourself, "Self, that looks ridiculous."
Then you see another. And another. Pretty soon whatever you saw is more commonplace than BO at a tractor pull.
Which begs a question. How do the strange, exotic, and absurd fashion trends we see even get started? I have a theory...
- It starts with a desperately insecure person seeking a unique way to be noticed.
- They find something odd or strange, and while not sure they like it, they give it a try.
- Here's where it all goes wrong. In a normal ecosystem those around would fall on this faux pas like piranha on a beef stick. BUT, we live in a culture of politeness.
- So, everyone thinks it's ridiculous, no one wants to say so, and they offer insincere compliments.
- "Oh, that looks amazing!"
- "It's so slimming!"
- "Everyone is wearing squirrel these days!"
- Soon, others hear the false praise, see the strange fashion, and decide that even though they hate the look, they must have it.
- Boom, fashion trend born.
Do the responsible thing. Speak out. Skinny jeans and muffin tops must be stopped.
I'm just sayin...